I have a question about the U.S. economy and a comment to make about
FDI to the third world.

We all know the U.S. is running a huge and growing trade deficit.
Moreover, the manufacturing sector has lost jobs for some thirty-five
consecutive months.  That is pretty amazing.  My question: are these
developments tied and can we confidently say that the U.S. industrial
sector has been hollowed out?  In other words has the job loss been
largely the result of the continually increasing import of manufactured
goods, many of which are produced by U.S. firms in other countries?
And has this development gone long enough that there has been
significant structural damage to U.S. manufacturing such that it is
unlikely that anything, including a falling dollar, will promote its
renewal?  Or is it just productivity that is causing this job loss or
is it ...?

I would really like to know what people think about this.

As to on FDI, I cannot remember who the person was, but in response to
someone I had mentioned that FDI is becoming more and more
concentrated.  That person had argued the opposite and asked for some
supporting information for my position.  I just came across something
relevant from the World Investment Report 2002.  On page 9 the report
says:

“In spite of the substantial liberalizing measures of the past decade,
developing countries still attract less than a third of world FDI
flows, and these flows remain highly concentrated.  In 2001, the five
largest host countries in the developing world received 62 percent of
total inflows and the 10 largest received three-quarters.  The level of
concentration of FDI in developing countries has in fact risen in
recent years.”

On page 11 there is a chart that shows the share of the top 5, 10, and
30 host developing countries.  The increased share of FDI flows going
to each of these groups shows a marked gain beginning in 1996.

Marty Hart-Landsberg