A point and some questions about the issue of US manufacturing:

Since productivity gains in manufacturing are greater than in most other
sectors, the relative dollar value of manufacturing output and its share of
GDP inevitably decline. To get a more balanced picture of the status of
manufacturing I think we should also look at the trends in _physical_
output (despite the difficulty in measuring this, given quality changes,
etc; think of computers). I was following this a couple of years ago and
was struck by the growing gap in the trends of dollar output and physical
output (the Federal Reserve published a series on physical output by sector
and somehow aggregated it into an index for all industrial sectors).

can anyone cite the most recent trends in physical production? I'm guessing
they provide a rather different image than that of
US-manufacturing-is-a-sunset-sector-and-now-its-the-new-economy-that-really-matters.

The other angle on this is to stay with dollar value data but look at
industrial output divided by _stage of production_, i.e., crude materials
vs. final products. Again, when I looked at this a couple of years ago I
was struck how the value of materials production within the US was rising
faster than the value of final products. Since I assume that the US is not
a big exporter of crude materials, it seemed to me this also indicated that
'real' output of final products was rising more than their dollar value
suggests (also, from another angle, how circulating constant capital is
probably rising faster than fixed constant capital). I just clicked on the
Federal Reserve series on output by stage of production
(see  http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/G17/ip_notes.htm ), and
without studying it too carefully it seemed this trend has continued into 2002.

Can anyone cite recent data on either trend (physical production and stage
of production), or do you have any thoughts on their significance for the
'future of manufacturing'? Although I realize that the comparative trends
with other countries are also important, is it not true that in 'real'
terms, US domestic manufacturing is bigger than ever (of course, not as big
as capacity, especially as the depression bites)? For example, if trade
barriers went up, doesn't the US still retain the capacity to be
_relatively_ self-sufficient in most manufactured goods (compared to other
advanced capitalist economies)? When the new economy bubble really bursts
and the relative prices of 'real' goods rise? won't there still be a very
large base for this increase in 'value'?

Bill Burgess