Actually, no. Roosevelt tried to pack the court, and
failed. One of the former bad guy justices switched
his view and started supporting the New Deal. The
Roosevelt era court mainly supported expanded govt
power to regulate business, not primarily enhanced
free speech and civil rights. Its most notably free
speech decision was probably US v. Dennis (1948),
upholding the conviction of the CPUSA leaders for
conspiracy to advocate the overthrow of the govt. The
real civil libertarian court was the Warren Court,
whose key members were Warren and Brennan, appointed
by Eisenhower, and Goldberg, Fortas, and Marshall,
appointed by Kennedy and Johnson. The one right thing
you say here is that the Warren Court era is over. jks