No and yes. Douglas and Black were important advocates
of free speech, but the protections for political
speech we have were not won till the Warren Court era.
The first major victory was Yates v. US (1957),
saetting aside the Smith Act convictions of the lower
echelon Communist leaders on grounds of overbreadth,
written by Justice Harlan, an Eisenhower conservative.
Harlan also write Scales and and Noto (1961), cutting
back on the Smith Act somewhat. Justice Goldberger, a
Johnson liberal, writes Aptheker v. Sec. of State
(1964), upholding a CP leader's right to a passport.
The foundational "advocacy of illegal conduct" opinion
is Brandenberg v. Ohio (1969), a per curiam (unsigned)
opinion in a Klan case that holds that only speech
that advocates immanent illegal conduct may be
prohibited. Black and Douglas voted on the right side
in all of these, but given the lineup by 1964, their
votes were not strictly required.

jks

--- Kenneth Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wellllll... yes and no.
>
> Yes, it was "Warren's" court, and Eisenhower was
> disappointed with his
> two appointments.
>
> But,  no, Warren couldn't have done anything without
> Black and Douglas.
> And Douglas was a major source of this extreme free
> speech-ism. (Mind
> you, I wasn't there.)
>
> Ken.
>
> --
> I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You
> couldn't park
> anywhere near the place.
>           -- Steven Wright

jks