I think the problem with the Krugman phenomenon is not so much
Krugman but the broader progressive movement.  Because Krugman has
written columns critical of the Bush administration he gets raised
to the status of intellectual leader of the progressive movement--by
progresives.  Krugman came through on a book tour to my city and
many progressives promoted his talk as if he were one of them.  The
danger comes of course because he is not advancing any kind of
radical vision of change.  By giving him legitimacy it ends up
confusing people who then continue to read his work and find out he
is for the FTAA and free trade etc.  There was a similar problem
with the way the left treated Stiglitz.

It is great to have mainstream economists raise critical points
about policy, but we need to be clear that these criticisms are
limited and that these economists do not share our broader vision or
understanding. Said differently the problem is largely rooted in the
lack of political clarity in our movement.  Given that problem it is
not so bad to every once in a while highlight the political
limitations of these mainstream critics of mainstream economics.

Marty Hart-Landsberg

The "broader progressive movement" is lacking in political clarity when it comes to the FTAA and free trade, because it is a very politically mixed bag, a dominant component of which in the USA has been protectionist officials of organized labor. If Krugman is not advancing any kind of radical vision of change, neither are "anti-globalization" activists and advocates of industrial policy and strategic trade in the USA, whom Krugman criticizes. -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>,