----- Original Message -----
From: "Jurriaan Bendien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Anti-corruption information at http://www.nobribes.org/ and
> www.transparency.org . Transparency International has branches in
several
> countries.
>
> For the Global Corruption Report 2003, see
> http://www.globalcorruptionreport.org/download.shtml

====================

Some of the analytical methods in these reports point precisely to the
weakness of the definition of corruption given earlier.

*Corruption is defined as "the abuse of public power for private gain."*

Rather than simply contest the definition, I'll relay a story and try to
keep it short.

A couple of years ago I was at a debate between a former Canadian MP, then
working at the Canadian Consulate in Seattle, and a friend as well as one
of those eminently replaceable PR people from the Chamber of Commerce.

During the Q & A the guy from Canada told how -I'm paraphrasing and
compressing, in Canada, he was given $25,000 to run his election campaign,
the reporting requirements and the like "and if I spent one dollar over
that amount I would be thrown in jail for [X] years. By this standard your
American system is totally corrupt." He then went into a not too short
excursus on the problems of political patronage as they relate to trade
issues.

Now, given the above definition, nothing US elected representatives do is
considered corruption precisely because they are not abusing public office
for private gain. They are simply using it to grant advantages to their
campaign contributors. Sure it lines the coffers of the two parties, which
after all, are caught up in the accumulation game themselves. Yet the
system of political patronage in the US is not that different from the
corruption many see in African states. Indeed one could make the argument
that what has gone on in Africa for the last 50 years is not much
different from the settling of the US in the nineteenth century. And yet
the US scores rather well compared to say, Nigeria on the corruption

Most US citizens casually perusing left-liberal muckraking journalism on
campaign contributions etc. have no problem seeing the current system in
place as corrupt, yet their intuitions, which I have enormous sympathies
with, are not captured in the above definition precisely because those in
power have legalized the ever evolving norms of patronage as the political
economy changes and grows.

 Hence the above definition is too thin precisely because it creates a
blind spot regarding how the corruption got legitimated -cumulative
causation and all that. I take the current structuring of patronage as
just so much of a 'objectified corruption' as many commonly refer to
capital as 'objectified labor' or 'dead labor.' Yet the moment we let the
above definition serve as the baseline norm from which many other forms of
corruption are excluded by definition, we concede too much to the
political parties that are ruining governments across the planet. A
perfect example is the SC passing Buckley v. Valeo. Am I the only one to
see the corrupt conflict of interests involved in having Republican and
Democrat judges legitimize the idea of money as speech which just so
happens to ensure an enormous stream of cash for the parties of which they
are members? I don't think so and neither do all the solid people pushing
for substantive campaign finance reform, yet the above definition kind of
pre-empts their ability to call the current system corrupt.

If we say that the political process by which property rights are
constructed and delegated to agents in the economy is not corrupt
precisely because those who hold office have legalized the process whereby
money is exchanged in order to secure legislation favorable to some
interests vis a vis other interests by any definition of corruption
[attuned to historical facts as much as the analytical coherence of our
definition etc.] we care to articulate, then what is the normative basis
from which we can declare that capitalist systems of property and contract
are violative of the norms of democratic liberalism
itself -freedom/justice etc.?

Clearly the definition of corruption above attempts to define away the
historical process whereby capitalist property rights became
institutionalized even as we see how corruption today with the above
definition, in many cases, bears an uncanny resemblance to the manner in
which so-called primitive accumulation many centuries ago brought forth
capitalism as we know it today.

Usual caveats,

Ian