Hi Michael,

You may not think that the crisis is a wage squeeze but the Brenner's
analysis of the declining profitability, I mean the global one, requires
an increase in wages (also global).  This was shown clearly (in my view)
by anwar in his Hist. Materialism piece, downloadable from his site:

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~AShaikh/world.html

My reading of Brenner's argument can be summed up --a bit crudely-- like
this:

Competition among American/German/Japanese Manufacturers ==>

Decline in US Manufacturing Prices ==>

Decline in US Manufacturing Profitability ==>

Decline in US General Profitability ==>

Decline in German/Japanese Manufacturing Profitability ==>

Decline in Global Profitability ==> Global Crisis

As Anwar pointed out, in order to clarify the causal link between the US
profitability and the eventual decline in global ROP Brenner needed the
rising wages reference.  Though, Brenner argued that the cause of this
increase in wages was competition which happened to be also the cause of
price decline in US manufacturing.

So, on my part when I got the general agreement-sense from your review,
being biased by my own reading of Brenner --influenced by Fine &
Lapavistas piece in addition to Anwar's-- I drew a quick conclusion that
you also share Brenner's rising wages approach -even though it is an
implied one.  Now, I see your different reading, which attaches a
centrality to excess capacity.  Sorry for the misrepresentation.

Ahmet