> strictly speaking, no propositions at all can be "proved" with statistics.
All one can say is that your hypothesis survived a statistical test.

True, but it occurs to me that this might be too strongly worded, insofar as
SOME propositions could be proved with statistics. For example, take
proposition p which states that y will always greater than x. I go and
measure y and I measure x and by golly, yep, I cannot find any single case
where p is false. Now you could of course say, tomorrow I could encounter an
example which contradicts p, and that is possible. This would demonstrate
what we knew logically anyway, namely that there is no absolute proof of p,
and, any counterexample of p is proof of that theorem. Nevertheless, in
terms of the most basic tools of human cognition, i.e. stimulus
discrimination and stimulus generalisation, the very fact, that we
statistically established that p holds true as a rule, except in a few odd
cases, is significant, because then we are not just talking logical
entailment but real experience. Of course, I could also argue that p is true
simply because it is true, or because A says so, or because it follows
logically from q, but an appropriate statistical quantification of
observations does I think add to the credibility of the argument.

In general, these days, you get a lot of intellectually lazy people. They
want to skim off the most advanced knowledge around for the purpose of
gratifying their needs and so on, spy on other because they cannot think for
themselves or create anything for themselves. A lot of it just revolves
around a postmodernist spinning-out of concepts undisciplined by any real
experience beyond a bit of screwing around (nothing wrong with a bit of
screwing around, but it's not all of reality, if you know what I mean). In
this situation, I think quantitative empirical inquiry has definite merit
insofar as it limits the amount of waffle people can talk about the
aggregate effects of their individual interactions. I.e. we try to count the
horse's teeth, rather than hypothesise they are there.

Personally, I'm happy to say that I do admire Al Greenspan for his great
personal dedication to "finding out" about economics and his great concern
for the facts of experience, which many economists simply do not have. It's
just that I think that his deregulation policies have different economic
effects and consequences from what he thinks they have. I think the real
evolution of the monetary and credit system since 1981 raises questions
which his theory just cannot answer, and indeed contradicts it.

Regards,

Jurriaan