If I'm not mistaken, Ted is referring to the problem of the expression of public
opinion through plebiscites. If people are isolated, having few or no popular
organizations that allow popular discussion and self-education, people tend to veer
toward the most individualistic ideologies. In 19th-century France, people voted for
Napoleon III in plebiscites not because it expressed their long-term, collective, or
class interest but because it expressed their isolated, atomized, consciousness --
especially since there was little choice on the ballot.

Strictly speaking, the election of Putin wasn't a plebiscite, but it was pretty close
in practice. Elections in the US would be a lot like plebiscites except that there are
grass-roots organizations for both of the major political parties. Polling results --
as opposed to, say, focus groups -- are a lot like plebiscites.

Rousseau seems to have suggested the problem with his distinction between "the will of
all" (a majority vote expressing individual special interests) and "the general will"
(nowadays called "the public interest," based on the shared interests of all
individuals, after collective discussion, etc.) Unfortunately, he never figured out
how to reconcile these in a meaningful way. (He hoped that an all-wise Legislator
could do the job.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine