Ah, very good explanation.

Two things:

1. Any Russian government will be corrupt. It's part of the political culture.
Politicians are expected to be corrupt. It's been like that since the dawn of time. I
think this probably has something to do with the loosely federated nature of the
country, in which regional governments -- far from the center and so hard to check up
on -- are usually allowed free reign as long as they pay tribute to Petersburg/Moscow.
As a result, the further you are from Moscow, the more hostile the government usually
is.

2. The Kremlin is not very repressive, unless you are an uppity oil executive. What IS
repressive is the lawlessness and arbitrariness (cf. 1, above.) The average citizen
has much more to fear from a cop or a petty bureaucrat than from the Kremlin.