-----Original Message-----
From: "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--
How? US trade with Russia is almost zero. Russia's debt/GDP ratio is lower than
Germany's. Indeed, Amb. Vershbow tried to threaten Russia economically over Iraq and

---
Rather, they come from the failure of the Soviet "model" (which was partly a response
to earlier external domination).

---
Yes.
---

> If Russia is able to use its temporary oil bonanza to develop its economy in a
> balanced way, perhaps it can move away from dependency. Is it doing so?

This is one of the subtexts to the Khodorkovsky drama. The Kremlin wanted to hike
taxes on oil and other natural resourse exports in order to put the proceeds into the
rest of the economy. (Everybody in Russia knows how dependent the country is on world
market prices for oil and other natural resources, and that that is not sustainable in
the long run). Khodorkovsky was the main opponent of this plain. Now he is in jail.
The tax hike was voted through the Duma the other day.