"Devine, James" wrote:

> >The Soviet empire was not extortionary, in the sense of providing a
> bounty of riches to the imperial center, as India and other colonial
> holdings had done for Britain in the 19th and 20th centuries; instead,
> it was a drain on Moscow. Without oil, the heirs of Lenin would have had
> great difficulty subsidizing their needy allies, their globe-spanning
> navy, their 45,000 nuclear weapons, their four-million-man army, their
> record-setting Olympians and their space stations. Oil was, in many
> ways, more crucial to the Kremlin than ideology.<
>
> Some scholars (sorry, I don't have the reference here) argue that even the British
> empire wasn't profitable for Britain as a whole. But it clearly benefited the upper
> classes, who were more important in decision-making.

If you consider the conditions of English workers in the 1840s & 1850s
as described by Marx & Engels, and if in addition you consider the
_change_ for the worse of that condition between (say) 1750 and 1840,
also as described by Marx & Engels, and if, finally, you consider that
the engine of that change had been the textile industry (fueled by
exploitation of the u.s. south,  India, & China), then it becomes fairly
obvious that the "Empire" was an utter disaster for English workers. In
fact, the Empire could be regarded as a huge, terroristic machine
designed primarily to pump surplus labor out of English workers.

Carrol