Do you use the Marxist concept of "state" and state power ?  See _The Origin
of the Family, Private Property and the State_ and _The State and
Revolution_ .

What's "capitalist nomos" ? Naming ?

How do you want to "change" capitalism differently than "overthrowing" it ?
What we want to overthrow is private ownership in the basic means of
production, i.e. private property. "Economics" and "politics" are united in
the concept of "private property."

Charles

^^^^^^^

JONATHAN NITZAN:

No, I don't think it does work, even it is "true.".

You cannot simply "define" power, just as you cannot simply "define"
capital. Marx's attempt to understand capitalist power required a 2,000+
pages opus, and that too was riddled with difficulties. (Note for instance
Marx's struggles to start his analysis of capital from a particular category
- for instance, in the Introduction to the Grundrisse, sections 1
[Production] and section 3 [The Method of Political Economy]).

For various reasons, this attempt to understand capitalist power eventually
degenerated into a bifurcation between "economic" power (exploitation) and
"political" power (oppression). On the one hand there is the alienated
economic sphere of individuals (utility / self interest / business firms /
the wealthy / production lines / technology market structure); on the other
hand there is the political world of organized collectives (power coalitions
/ state organs / state officials / political parties / pressure groups state
alliances).

Since these 1970s, Marxists have concentrated on the "interaction" of these
two spheres. This "interaction" can take various forms (a la Miliband,
Poulantzas or otherwise). It could be unidirectional, bi-directional or
fully interactive; it could be based on exchange, self interest, power,
coercion, or influence. It could be open and brutal, or stealth and subtle.
But in the final analysis, it rests on the fundamental bifurcation of
"economics" and "politics".

We reject this bifurcation. From the viewpoint of capital, there is no
distinction between "economics" and "politics." Marx understood the fallacy
of this distinction, but his attempt to anchor value in the so-called
"process of production" forced him to accept it nonetheless.

In our view, this fracture between the unified view of capitalist power and
the bifurcated theory that explains it has become a serious fetter. This
fracture prevents us from understanding capitalism, and therefore from being
able to change it. (Those who speak of "overthrowing capitalism" should know
first WHAT aspects of the social organization/ideology/techniques they want
to overthrow. Changing a social system is not the same as rebooting a
computer, or replacing your software.)

When such a fracture develops - in society, as in the natural sciences -
there is a need for a major revision, for recategorization, for new
concepts. Our theory eliminates the fracture by rejecting, from the
beginning, the "substantialist" bases of accumulation. Instead of equating
capital with commodified labor values, or with commodified utils, our
initial tautology states (metaphorically) that:

Capital = Commodified Power.

More specifically, we argue that the QUANTITATIVE process of differential
capitalization (the right hand side of the "equation") represents or
"discounts" the QUALITATIVE processes of social power (the left hand side of
the "equation").

In this sense, capital "is" power. The accumulation of capital is the power
architecture of capitalism. It is the method through which social
reproduction is organized. Contrary to the conventional approaches, both
Marxist and liberal, we argue that this reproduction itself does not contain
the "code" of accumulation, whether counted in labor values or utility. On
the contrary, it is the quantitative code of accumulation, created by the
capitalist nomos, that imposes itself on the process of reproduction.

Jonathan

"New Imperialism or New Capitalism?"
http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/archive/00000124/