When in doubt about measurement, it may be wise to resort to scissor analysis or how things move on a trend and how the law of value cuts into the fog speculation. Why would one be so interested in reading a more or less constant trajectory of depreciation when what really matters is what is happening on the variable labor side. One thing is for sure, capitalist keep track of labor time and, inadvertently, the difference between the exchange and use values of labor.

In the movement in thought from values to prices of production to actual prices, values are preserved not so much to determine the price level in the immediacy of the moment but to expose the exploitation at the heart of capitalist production that sways development in favor of one class or another or in today's language, to allocate resources. In a sense values are preserved and not negated and hold primacy in the laws of production, consumption and exchange.

converting values into prices is not doable without some austere assumptions. In Marx's I think it was meant for illustrative purposes and in which the category 'prices of production' arose. the issue is not to quantify every general category like depreciation of machines because the least of the reasons for not doing so would be a ridiculous decomposition of fact in a static mode. The point is to be able to move from the part to the whole and back. that is to say, in measurement issues it is not the exploitation of a single worker that could be closely measured but that of the class, etc.. with time demarcation and periodisation probelms.

I recall but do not know the source that when Engels was asked about the substance of power his answer was knowledge.

Michael Perelman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
He is now a provost in the Cal. State System.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321