From: PEN-L list on behalf of Chris Doss
Sent: Sat 1/22/2005 8:57 AM
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] a pretty good editorial

--- "Devine, James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FWIW, I didn't write that.

I know.

--
The fact is that the USSR collapse was largely or
partly a result of

This is pretty open to debate -- Gorbachev himself
denies it. But then he himself is an interested party.
The USSR collapse I think was largely the result of
too-rapid democratization couples with a denial of the
nationalities issue. (That is, glastnost allowed
radical nationalist and secessionist currents to
flourish.)

=====
Nu, zayats, pogodi!