On 9/2/06, Jim Devine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
me:
> > but while we're on the subject, I think the only way that women's
> > equality can be gained is via feminist struggle of the sort we've seen
> > (with partial success) in the US. That's why independent organizations
> > of, by, and for women are so important, so needed. Equality is not
> > handed down by those in power, who benefit from inequality.

Yoshie:
> Feminist struggle exists in Iran, and you can learn about it if you
> pay attention to it, and Iran has moved toward a gender-egalitarian
> society to the extent it has in part because of that and in part
> because of the impacts of the Iran-Iraq War, changing political
> economy, etc....

I NEVER said that feminist struggle doesn't exist in Iran. I wasn't
talking about Iran's actual situation. (BTW, I'm told that the late
Shah tried to promote gender equality, too.)

Rather, I was talking about your assertion that >It will be nice if
Iran will get developed into a homosocial but gender-egalitarian
society< on the basis of homosocial organization (gender apartheid,
"separate but equal") and that somehow women being in the (paid)
workforce would automatically or naturally or somethingily create
gender equality.

IMHO, a largely homosocial society, which Japan is, is not the same
thing as a society of gender apartheid, unless you consider PEN-l to
be operating on the basis of gender apartheid, too.  I've never said
that "women being in the (paid) workforce would automatically or
naturally or somethingily create gender equality" either -- that's a
view that you are unfairly attributing to me, with no evidence
whatsoever.

--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>