me:
> >>BTW, what's your alternative. (I am NOT telling you to put up or shut
> >>up. But I do think that it's best to have alternative rather than
> >>simply trashing the hegemonic school of economics. If there's no
> >>alternative, good-hearted and even smart lefty economists might be
> >>tempted to drink the kool-aid and become lefty neoclassicals or
> >>worse.)

Robert:
>>I agree. I used to bristle when people said "you can't beat
something with nothing" or "you can't defeat a theory unless you come
up with another one." You can, though at a cost. Sociology pulled down
the structural-functionalist hegemony without replacing it with
another. Now sociological theory resembles Berlin in the 20s or Beirut
in the 70s: different factions shooting at each other, no one strong
enough to take over, nonparticipants fleeing for safer ground, in
sociology called "grounded theory".

>>Fortunately the group called "heterodox economists" is beginning to
coalesce, though still a far cry from having a paradigm as
comprehensive as the neoclassicals or the Marxists.<<

he then added:
>> Let me clarify the last paragraph. By heterodox economists I mean
the real ones, e.g. http://www.heterodoxeconomics.net <<

are you saying the Austrians and Marxists aren't heterodox? as the
kids say, "whatevs." I really don't care about how people define words
that much. But the contrast in my mind is between the
dominant/hegemonic school of economics (which includes neither of
those schools) and the number of "heterodox" schools that nip at the
orthodox/neoclassical school's heels. (It's like the relationship
between the old Mexican PRI and the various off-brand parties that
could never win -- until Fox's PAN took advantage of the changing
Zeitgeist.)

BTW, at least in economics, Marxists don't have a very coherent
paradigm. Maybe comprehensive, but not coherent. It's like Beirut in
the 1970s...
--
Jim Devine / "The truth is at once less sinister and more dangerous."
-- Naomi Klein.