> *Murra was born Issac Lipschitz in Odessa Russia but eventually wound up in
> the US as a young man in the 1930s.  He was very much a product of the U of
> Chicago in its leftist social science days of the '30s but he quickly left
> the U.S. to fight for the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War (Murra was
> his nom de guerre) . As a result he was blacklisted, fought a long battle
> against deportation and for his citizenship, couldn't travel even for
> fieldwork, could not even apply for grants, and most of his career was
> spent on short term assignments (hence teaching freshmen...even if Jim was
> in the class).  Despite his prestige he was only given a tenure track post
> in 1968 (at Cornell where he was isolated in the Anthro Dept but where
> people in Cornell Area Studies, Agric School and Labor Schools spoke well
> of him).

I don't know what his status was at Yale (beyond his status as a
visitor) but I bet he was doing more teaching that just frosh anthro
in 1970-71. I do know that one of the profs during the Spring semester
(who was subbing for Murra, I believe) threw off a remark like "you
know he's a Marxist, don't you?" I guess he was hoping that we'd
reject Murra's perspective. In reality, he presented a bunch of
different perspectives, including ones he likely disagreed with
strongly. Alas, he didn't talk much about the Incas.
--
Jim Devine / "The truth is at once less sinister and more dangerous."
-- Naomi Klein.