raghu wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Charles Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The subject matter here is anthropology, the human species, and
> > so-called races.
>

> Two interesting commentaries on the Watson controversy.
>
> One is a counterpunch.org article that has a nice explanation of why
> questions about race and intelligence cannot be intelligently posed,
> leave alone scientifically answered.

one thing: we need to dump the idea of "intelligence" as something
that can be measured using a single number (IQ). Intelligence is
multidimensional. Howard Gardner sees intelligence as "the capacity to
solve problems or to fashion products that are valued in one or more
cultural setting." Using this definition and empirical work, he came
out with seven different kinds of intelligence:

1. Linguistic intelligence (sensitivity to spoken and written
language, the ability to learn languages, and the capacity to use
language to accomplish certain goals).

2. Logical-mathematical intelligence (the capacity to analyze problems
logically, carry out mathematical operations, and investigate issues
scientifically).

3. Musical intelligence (skill in the performance, composition, and
appreciation of musical patterns).

4. Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence (the potential of using one's whole
body or parts of the body to solve problems).

5. Spatial intelligence (the potential to recognize and use the
patterns of wide space and more confined areas).

6. Interpersonal intelligence (the capacity to understand the
intentions, motivations and desires of other people).

7. Intrapersonal intelligence (the capacity to understand oneself, to
appreciate one's feelings, fears and motivations).

Obviously, one can be more intelligent than other people in some ways
while being less intelligent than them in other ways.

source: http://www.infed.org/thinkers/gardner.htm

my feeling is that the whole idea of unidimensional intelligence fits
with the "modernist" world-view that capitalism foisted -- and is
foisting -- on the world. If everything can be reduced to dollars and
cents, then why can't the human brain be weighed using a single scale.
Skill is multidimensional, but a worker's value to the employer can be
stated solely in terms of profit and loss. Under capitalism,
exchange-value dominates and destroys use-value.
--
Jim Devine /  "The trick for radicals has been and will be to make of
earth a heaven, but without blind faith." -- Mike Yates.