Greetings Economists,
On Oct 27, 2007, at 6:13 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

I think the burden of proof is on anyone who claims it is of
pedagogical
utility to know the past record of students, including records of their
intelligence(s). Such information is more apt to mislead than to guide.

Doyle;
It is necessary to know if a child has a learning disability.  This
carving of islands of intelligence does matter in terms of how someone
will be taught.  If one of course as your Mother did ignores past
reports of difficult learners to give them an unbiased treatment then
surely someone who was unrecognized with a learning disability would
have a fairer chance of being taught with equal treatment than someone
whose record says they were an unqualified dumb ass.  Unteachably
stupid because the 'moron' (a word coined to mean one can't learn to
read) can't read.  See the example of the famous painter, Chuck Close,
as a good example of Carrol's Mothers methods.  He was given the
freedom to express himself by pictures when in his time dyslexia was
not recognized as a learning disability.  But I contend he could have
much better training if they recognized his dyslexia overtly, as does
Chuck Close say himself.
thanks,
Doyle Saylor