On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:00 PM, raghu wrote:

No need to weep for those guys of course, but there is still the
glaring injustice of allowing poor people to get foreclosed on while
protecting rich institutions. Is there a cost associated with that?

The problem is that the rich institutions hold the rest of us hostage.

But to quote myself from my radio commentary last week: "All in all, [according to the Mortgage Bankers Association] 2.5 million mortgages are delinquent; since the average household is a bit over 3 people, that means that almost 8 million people are in mortgage distress. And almost 800,000 mortgages, representing about 2.5 million people, are in foreclosure. These numbers are almost certain to rise — especially if the economy weakens, which it looks like it’s doing." This is horrible, and almost no one is doing anything to stop the carnage. I don't know what the monetary cost is, but it means a lot of suffering. But WS is just complaining about how much their haircut hurts.

Doug