On Dec 13, 2007 11:53 AM, Doug Henwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:42 PM, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >  Who said let her rip ? As Raghu hinted, give the money to the poor
> > instead of the rich.
>
> Uh, then they'd just have to turn it over to the bankers to service
> the mortgages. If people at risk of foreclosure just kept the money,
> that wouldn't be fair to the suckers who are still paying their
> mortgages, either.

This is of course the problem with any bailout - it is always unfair
to *someone*. I like to think of it as a form of moral hazard. People
went and speculated as if they had insurance against failure and no
one corrected their mis-perception until the whole economy was put in
danger.

So now what? The Fed has no choice but to bail someone out. I just
think it'd be much better on many different levels, if the
beneficiaries are poor (sub-prime) people instead of Wall St.
-raghu.