>>> Marvin Gandall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 12/13/2007 6:26 PM >>>
Raghu:

> So now what? The Fed has no choice but to bail someone out. I just
> think it'd be much better on many different levels, if the
> beneficiaries are poor (sub-prime) people instead of Wall St.
===================================
I think the real debate which is taking place - as always, in the
absence of
any real struggle between the classes - is the intra-class debate
between
the conservatives and the liberals. The Hayekians are fretting about a
rerun
of the Japanese crisis, which was characterized by the propping up of
zombie
banks and corporations and a decade-long stagnation. They want to
ruthlessly
"cleanse" the system`by a short, sharp recession rather than dragging
things
out. If it means Countrywide goes down the toilet and Citibank is
broken up
and there is a massive wave of personal and corporate bankruptcies,
well so
be it. At least the dollar will be strong and their paper assets won't
be
devalued by inflation. The Keynsians, of course, harken back to the
Great
Depression, don't believe the market can correct itself, and are more
worried about the social consequences.

The reflex of the Fed and the Treasury, charged with representing the
general class interest, is to balance between the contending factions
and
are predictably satisfying no one - neither the conservatives who want
hold the line on interest rates and let insolvent banks, mortgage
lenders,
and homeowners go under, nor the liberals who want to see a more
urgent
response to contain a potentially uncontrollable crisis.

Interesting, too, how a large part of the Marxist left echoes the
Hayekians
in objecting to any "bailout" of the banks - for reasons having to do
not
with revitalizing the system, of course, but of ending it.

^^^^^^^
CB: What's your position , Marvin ? What do you say should be done ?