On Jan 31, 2008 6:51 AM, Sandwichman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't know about that. Everyone here appears to have heard of him.
>
> On 1/30/08, raghu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Minsky is a genius. It is a mystery to me why he is so obscure.

I take that back: if the New Yorker runs a profile on him maybe he is
not that obscure after all.
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/comment/2008/02/04/080204taco_talk_cassidy
------------------------------snip
The Minsky Moment
by John Cassidy February 4, 2008

Twenty-five years ago, when most economists were extolling the virtues
of financial deregulation and innovation, a maverick named Hyman P.
Minsky maintained a more negative view of Wall Street; in fact, he
noted that bankers, traders, and other financiers periodically played
the role of arsonists, setting the entire economy ablaze. Wall Street
encouraged businesses and individuals to take on too much risk, he
believed, generating ruinous boom-and-bust cycles. The only way to
break this pattern was for the government to step in and regulate the
moneymen.

Many of Minsky's colleagues regarded his "financial-instability
hypothesis," which he first developed in the nineteen-sixties, as
radical, if not crackpot. Today, with the subprime crisis seemingly on
the verge of metamorphosing into a recession, references to it have
become commonplace on financial Web sites and in the reports of Wall
Street analysts. Minsky's hypothesis is well worth revisiting. In
trying to revive the economy, President Bush and the House have
already agreed on the outlines of a "stimulus package," but the first
stage in curing any malady is making a correct diagnosis.

Minsky, who died in 1996, at the age of seventy-seven, earned a Ph.D.
from Harvard and taught at Brown, Berkeley, and Washington University.
He didn't have anything against financial institutions—for many years,
he served as a director of the Mark Twain Bank, in St. Louis—but he
knew more about how they worked than most deskbound economists. There
are basically five stages in Minsky's model of the credit cycle:
displacement, boom, euphoria, profit taking, and panic. A displacement
occurs when investors get excited about something—an invention, such
as the Internet, or a war, or an abrupt change of economic policy. The
current cycle began in 2003, with the Fed chief Alan Greenspan's
decision to reduce short-term interest rates to one per cent, and an
unexpected influx of foreign money, particularly Chinese money, into
U.S. Treasury bonds. With the cost of borrowing—mortgage rates, in
particular—at historic lows, a speculative real-estate boom quickly
developed that was much bigger, in terms of over-all valuation, than
the previous bubble in technology stocks.