KOTA BAHARU, Dec 18 - The Kelantan government has no intention of allowing
discotheques and night clubs to operate in the state, State Local Government,
Housing and Health Committee chairman Takiyuddin Hassan said Monday.

He said such entertainment outlets would not make their way into Kelantan for
as long as PAS ruled the state.

"If there are media reports which said that Kelantan would allow discos and
night clubs, they are not true," he told reporters after the handing- over of
duty of the Kota Baru Municipal Council (MPKB) president, here.

Former State Economic Planning Unit deputy director Shafie Ismail is the new
MPKB president. He takes over from Abd Aziz Abd Rahman, who has been appointed
State Islamic Religious Affairs director.

Takiyuddin said the state government had never issued a statement that it was
allowing such entertainment centres to operate in Kelantan, as was published in
an English daily a few days ago.

"The report (in the newspaper) has been taken out of context. What I said was
that there would not be a problem to have dances at functions if they (dances)
were to involve only men or only women.

"Likewise, husbands and wives, they can dance but there have to be certain
rules," he added.

He said the state government would continue to adopt an open policy but would
be firm in matters relating to state policies.

He cited the Makyong, which has been banned, because the performance contained
elements which contradicted Islamic teachings.

"But if there are quarters, arts activists or anyone who can convince us that
there is nothing unIslamic about the (Mak Yong) performance, come and see us.
We will give our support and allow the performance," he added.//Bernama

Kirim email ke