chromatic wrote:
Some kwalitee metrics are useful in both places and that's fine.  I just
wonder if some of PANTS should be more private.

I think much of the problem could be solved by separating the metrics from the scoring. If CPANTS just gave the results of various tests so I could look up my modules and see which ones I pass and fail, that still helps me as a developer if I'm interested in improving my modules. Where it becomes into a competition rather than a developer's tool is that the scores are added together into one "Kwalitee" score that assumes (or for which people assume):

a) all tests are relevant
b) all tests matter equally (are equally weighted)
c) higher score means higher quality

The scores are available in the database. There's no reason that someone can't use it to generate their own "Qualitee" score or a "core Kwalitee" or whatever subset they think matters. Some of that might be useful for installers, and some not. But if CPANTS itself didn't offer a Kwalitee score -- just the results of the tests -- there wouldn't be an implicit sanction of a single metric that gets people so riled up.

Regards,
David Golden