>>>Either they're valuable enough that you install their prerequisites or
>>>they're not.
>

> But how am I supposed to find this out? I dont even know whether the
> required modules are used for the tests only, without digging through the
> source...

see Test::Plan (yes, yet another module :)

as I've said here before, I point to that module not necessarily as an
endorsement but as a pointer to a theory - I'm (now) very much convinced
that it's up to the individual tests to know what their requirements and/or
prerequisites are and skip over the test if those requirements are not met.
 so, if a module requires Test::Deep, Test::Foo, and Test::Beer, the test
file ought to do something like

  plan tests => 5, need qw(Test::Deep Test::Foo Test::Beer);

or, for the majority of folks, the skip_all equivalent.  this would be in
contrast to a largish PREREQ_PM that make _build-time_ prerequisites of
modules that were only required for _test-time_ interactions.  it also has
the effect of being much more granular in that it's probably not _every_
test file that uses Test::Beer, so when you choose not to install Test::Beer
(and it's hidden Test::Bar prerequisite) you'll probably still be able to
run _some_ tests...

fwiw

--Geoff