On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 07:56:11PM +0100, Fergal Daly wrote:
> What do you mean "has become" all the modules you encountered are at least 2
> years old but apart form anything that's a bit like coplaining about how
> complex the world of coputers has become, it used to be that I could just
> switch on, press Shift-RunStop, press play on my tape desk, make a cup of
> tea and then start playing whatever Commodore 64 game I wanted. It's all so
> complex now with ADSL, hard drives, wireless, linux distributions and web
> browsers.

I have to agree with Fergal here.  While there are modules which have
unnecessary dependencies and could use fixing, complaining about
dependencies in general is trying to roll back the clock to a day when
each application shipped everything.

Remember when DOS games came with their own hardware drivers and you
had to hope it supported your sound card and configure each game
individually and they each had their own audio bugs?  Wasn't that FUN?!
Wouldn't it be great if CPAN modules were like that?

Modularity, its the biggest idea to hit software engineering in the last 40
years.  Its not going away.

PS  You may be interested in http://search.cpan.org/dist/MegaDistro
(warning, very alpha).  Give it a list of CPAN modules and it spits out
an rpm, dpkg or tarball with the modules installed.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you