James E Keenan wrote:
Good point. Modules created with ExtUtils::ModuleMaker, by default, include a CHANGES file in the distribution. But it's easy to set an option to include the changes in the HISTORY section of the POD. Someone who does that should not be viewed as creating a distribution of lesser quality than someone who follows the default. TMTOWTDI.

Too much, and especially unnecessary TMTOWDI can be harmful in CPAN, IMHO. Some of the success of CPAN depends on having packages following conventions so that they can be processed by automated tools, and so that users can figure out what's what in the package more easily. Part of it is putting the changelog where people expect it, which in most cases is in a file matching /change(s|log)/i. Sure, you could put it in a file called "Chronicles", but that *should* be considered bad kwalitee.

I say look only for /change(s|log)/i. There's no advantage of using a less used synonym such as a file HISTORY. There may be cases where the author feels that it's really better to put the changelog somewhere in the a POD; in that case I'd advocate adding a Changes file that says: "please see the pod for DBI::Chages" or "please see the README file".

In case it helps the discussion, here is the case-sensitive count for files matching /\/(changes|changelog|history)/i in all CPAN distributions in my local CPAN mirror (which is not exactly up-to-date, but should be a good enough sample).

  21286 Changes
   2371 ChangeLog
   1717 CHANGES
    204 CHANGELOG
    143 changelog
    135 Changes.pod
    132 Changelog
     69 HISTORY
     43 CHANGES.txt

All other matches combined (including many false positives): 802

Cheers,
Ivan