On Thu, 06 Jul 2006, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On 7/6/06, Steffen Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Versions of Module::Install < 0.61 do not work on the current
> > ActivePerl release 5.8.8 build 817.
>
> What's broken and why suddenly 5.8.8?

Module::Install version 0.60 and earlier pushes one of its own
directories to the front of @INC, and that directory contains Base.pm or
BASE.pm, shadowing the core base.pm on case insensitive filesystems
(Windows, OS X).

ActivePerl 5.8.7 build 815 and later load additional code in Config.pm
to automatically adjust to using dmake and gcc if nmake and/or the
Microsoft compiler cannot be found on the PATH.  This allows you to use
MingW with ActivePerl out of the box with zero configuration required.

One of the modules used in the ActivePerl::Config code use 'base.pm',
which breaks if it cannot load the core version anymore.

This has been fixed in Module::Install version 0.61:

I've also modified the code in ActivePerl to not use base.pm in any
of the modules loaded by Config.pm, so starting with build 818 you
should be able to install CPAN modules with the broken Module::Install
again.

Cheers,
-Jan