On Jul 7, 2006, at 8:13 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

This kind of attitude was also said by another responder to this mailing list.
It's sort of a "small headed" (see
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2004/12/06.html ) "I just want to write
code and am not interested in any legal details" attitude.

May I suggest a compromise? As the author of the MIT-licensed code in Test::Run, Shlomi has the option of releasing the code under any license he prefers. Shlomi can releases *two* versions of Test::Run with every update -- a mixed license version and an Artistic/GPL version. With that solution, Shlomi himself shoulders the burden of resolving license compatibility and tracking which line of code is under which license.

I do believe that the quest for license simplicity in the Perl core is not "small headed" or rooted in ignorance, but is instead inspired. While many developers or TPF itself could easily delve deep enough to decide whether MIT/BSD licensed code in the core is a threat, I think that would be a wasted effort. The increased complexity of licensing (whether real or perceived) could easily turn off third parties with less dedication to Perl, thereby decreasing the attractiveness of the language.

After all, software engineering is largely about reducing the exposed complexity of a project.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)