On 1 Mar 2007, at 16:42, Andrew Gianni wrote:
Any insight appreciated. Recommendations on good books on general testing
philosophy would also be helpful (I've already got the developer's
notebook).

It sounds as if you have two distinct things to test. You have a rules engine that has to correctly interpret and implement arbitrary business rules and you have a set of rules expressed in some notation.

Assuming I've interpreted you correctly you should be able to test the rule engine using fairly common testing practices.

To test the rules you could maybe extend the rule notation to allow assertions to be expressed as part of the rule set and write a test harness that uses your (now proved) rules engine to test the assertions.

Any assertions in the rule set can be tested while the system is live too.

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net