On 7 Mar 2007, at 18:18, demerphq wrote:
If you want to say "Temporary Redirect" don't say "307" say "Temporary Redirect"! If you want to put lots of information into one value, like
categorization, use a hash!  { type => "Redirect", permanent => 0 }

Numeric response codes have the advantage that they are language agnostic.

Indeed. That doesn't mean we have to coerce our status information to map onto HTTP response codes though or even that we have to use a numeric scheme.

So we have broad categories of "test script couldn't be run for some reason" and "test script failed for some reason". In either case we / could/ distil the actual source of the problem (t/foo.t not found, connection to testbox.mydomain timed out) into an error code but then we'd be discarding information that'd presumably be useful.

How gross would it be just to have a logical channel in TAP that could represent output to STDERR? That plus the exit status of the test script is pretty much all you have at the moment. Would that be so bad?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net