brian d foy wrote:
> if you're going to use a different starting character for these
> messages, how about a [ ? Follow the start of the string by a real
> word:
>
>    not ok 1
>    [fail] Failed test in foo.t line 2
>    ok 2
>    [fatal] WHOA!  The fabric of the universe just broke down!
>    [damn it, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a programmer!] This should never
> happen!  Please contact the author immediately!
>
> It doesn't set it off visually as nicely as the repeated bangs, but
> that's not the goal here. People want to read this stuff
> programmatically. :)

Well, we do want TAP to remain human readable otherwise we'd just say the hell
with it and use XML or something and what a cold, hard dystopia that would be.

I think something along the lines that brian suggests is the right thing.
Characterized by

* A visually distinctive syntactical element
* A short, unique label indicating the level

How about [*label*] or even just **label**?

We could even say, for brevity, that no label == "notice".

not ok 1
**fail** Failed test in foo.t line 2
ok 2
**pass** Some information