Adam Kennedy wrote:
Salve J Nilsen wrote:
Anyhow, I think being able to recreate the entire distribiution may be a good thing, but perhaps not necessarily from a CPAN-distributed tarball. I'd certainly expect that from a source repository checkout, though.

CPAN-distributed tarballs are the primary source of the source code, any tests that the author feels should be run as part of release testing or automated testing should be included in the CPAN distribution.

Yes, of course.

Although with "recreate the entire distribution", I should perhaps have also said "including any custom steps to generate modules from third-party sources"

I was thinking of modules that have some generated parts, where the datasources for those parts aren't publically available for some reason. (Not exactly the common case, obviously.)

I would have liked to use Geo::Postcodes::NO as an example, but I see Arne already has included his tools for automatically updating the module postcode index. :-P

Repositories have this nasty habit of being private, out of date, on servers that die, not a version control you like, not a product you can legally use, or are not used at all by the author.

Yeah, not much one can do other than relate to the CPAN version then. But if at all possible, it's still a better practice to try to work on the repository version. If at all possible. :)

- Salve