On Friday 17 August 2007 12:52:54 Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from chromatic

> # on Friday 17 August 2007 11:28 am:
> >... sort of like I've been doing for at least one and probably two
> > years now with Module::Build and my custom disttest action, which I
> > know I've mentioned a few times now, which leads me to wonder why
> > people so conveniently forget it every time this discussion comes up.

> Because
>
>   1.  it doesn't play nicely with recursive tests[1]

"It's okay to run everything in t/ recursively" is a heuristic.  You can tell
it's a heuristic because sometimes it's wrong.

Plus, I can't think of a single time when I've ever needed it.  That doesn't
mean it's unnecessary, but rather that there's an interesting discussion
about test organization that we seem to be failing to have.

>   2.  it requires a custom disttest action[2]

Avoiding heuristics requires some sort of metadata.  Now a custosm build
action may be *bad* for other reasons, but it's not ambiguous, like a
heuristic.

Perhaps we need to define:

1) what tests should run by default
2) who gets to decide what "by default means
3) what other groups need to run non-default tests
3a) and what those non-default tests are
3b) and why they need to run them
4) what options are there for distinguishing between default and non-default
tests
5) which answer to #4 sucks the least

I respectfully suggest that any answer to #4 which includes a heuristic will
fail #5 spectacularly.

-- c