On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 11:45 AM, Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  It would be nice if NA's included the reason for it being an NA, that being
>  the full Makefile/Build.PL output just like if it failed.  I don't see any
>  harm in that and it would help identify accidental NAs.

There is only supposed to be one reason for NA -- Perl or platform not
supported.  Anything else is a bug in the reporting software.

See http://cpantest.grango.org/wiki/Reports

For reference, CPAN::Reporter detects NA in any of three ways:

* explicit check for unsatisfied 'perl' in 'requires' section of prerequisites
* parsing for "OS Unsupported" or "No support for OS"
* parsing for error messages from code like "use 5.008" or from "our"
being used in $VERSION strings prior to 5.005

CPAN::Reporter also includes PL output for tests that fail or are NA
in the PL stage.  CPANPLUS (which Chris uses) does not -- or at least
not by default as far as I know.

>  Also it would be nice if an NA came with a soothing explanation for the
>  author.  More than one rookie CPAN author has asked me "Oh god, what's this
> NA
>  thing mean?  How do I get rid of it?!"
>
>  While I'm on the subject, a link to an author FAQ about CPAN Testers in the
>  mail would be handy.

CPAN::Reporter already includes the following for NA reports:

   Thank you for uploading your work to CPAN.  While attempting to
build or test
   this distribution, the distribution signaled that support is not available
   either for this operating system or this version of Perl.  Nevertheless, any
   diagnostic output produced is provided below for reference.  If this is not
   what you expect, you may wish to consult the CPAN Testers Wiki:

   http://cpantest.grango.org/wiki/CPANAuthorNotes

CPANPLUS does not.

It's important for everyone to keep in mind that there are two modules
for automatically reporting test results to CPAN Testers and to
distinguish between general criticisms about CPAN Testers itself (e.g.
transport via email) and specific criticisms about specific tools.

I've put out 76 releases of CPAN::Reporter since August 2006 -- if
anyone cares to peruse the Changes file you'll see that I've worked
pretty hard to avoid or minimize "CPANTesters considered harmful"
sentiments from users and authors.  (Though I've learned I can't
please all the people all the time, of course. ;-)

So with all due respect, complaints that are really about CPANPLUS
would be better directed to the CPANPLUS RT queue.

David