On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Gabor Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The issue I am trying to solve is how to catch and report
> when a test suit gives any warnings?

Are there situations where a test suite should give warnings?  I.e.
stuff that the user should see that shouldn't get swallowed by the
harness running in a quiet (not verbose) mode?

For example, I have some tests in CPAN::Reporter that test timing out
a command.  Since that could look like a test has hung (to an
impatient tester) I make a point to use warn to flag to the user that
the test is sleeping for a timeout test.

Looks like this:

$ Build test --test_files=t/13_record_command.t
t/13_record_command......18/37 # sleeping for timeout test
t/13_record_command......22/37 # sleeping for timeout test
t/13_record_command......26/37 # sleeping for timeout test
t/13_record_command......ok
All tests successful.
Files=1, Tests=37, 19 wallclock secs ( 0.01 usr  0.01 sys +  6.51 cusr
 2.06 csys =  8.59 CPU)

So is there a better way to do this than warn?

That said, if you try this at home (with Proc::ProcessTable), you'll
also get a lovely warning from Proc::ProcessTable having a
non-portable v-string.  That is a warning that should perhaps be
fixed, though it turns out to be upstream.  Should I clutter my code
with stuff to suppress it?  Maybe.

But I don't see how I can have the one without the other.

--David