On Friday, May 03, 2013 01:34:35 PM Ovid wrote:

> ... you'll have to do a lot of work to convince people that starting out
> with an effectively random environment is a good way to test code.

Before you dismiss the idea entirely, consider that our real live code running
for real live clients runs in an effectively random environment.

This reminds me of the (false) debate over using mock objects to enforce some
standard of unit testing purity. It's interesting if individual pieces of code
adhere to expected behavior in isolation, but when the code has to work, it's
not doing so in isolation.

Isolation of individual test cases is, of course, essential to
parallelization--but I'm trying to maximize the return on confidence for
testing investment in what's inherently a stochastic process, so pursuing
isolation between individual test units is rarely worth it, in my experience.
Writing the right tests which test the right things is.

-- c