> * Use perl 5.6.0 or above

I would strongly urge using 5.6.1 at this point: several Unicode
bugs in 5.6.0 were fixed for 5.6.1.

> * convert any string to utf8 using Jcode or other modules

In the upcoming (hopefully in a few months) 5.8.0 the Unicode support
is even better (e.g. regexes work much better with Unicode), and a new
module called Encode (for doing encoding transformations) is included.
If you are interested in testing and helping out, please try the
latest developer release of Perl, 5.7.2 (please note that the 5.7
series is NOT suitable for production use, however, it's a developer
release so rough edges are to be expected).

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen