on 01.8.7 10:53 PM, Jarkko Hietaniemi at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> * Use perl 5.6.0 or above
>
> I would strongly urge using 5.6.1 at this point: several Unicode
> bugs in 5.6.0 were fixed for 5.6.1.

  Everyone hear that?  Use 5.6.1.  That is also the version that is covered
by 3rd Camel Book (It magically covered 5.6.1 A WHOLE YEAR before it was
actually released).

> In the upcoming (hopefully in a few months) 5.8.0 the Unicode support
> is even better (e.g. regexes work much better with Unicode), and a new
> module called Encode (for doing encoding transformations) is included.
> If you are interested in testing and helping out, please try the
> latest developer release of Perl, 5.7.2 (please note that the 5.7
> series is NOT suitable for production use, however, it's a developer
> release so rough edges are to be expected).

  I feel obligated to help because there appears a critical shortage of
engineers in Perl (5/6) porters who grok multiple byte codes.  I believe
features like Jcode should be handled by standard modules.  I prescribed
Jcode because and only because Camel could not digest Japanese.  If there is
a chance to "genetically engineer" the camel this is definitely a feature
that should be included in its DNA....

Dan the Camel Vet