Thomas, Mark - BLS CTR wrote:
Also, I may end up distributing more than 1 Perl application to the
same host. Is there a way for multiple distributions to share common libraries (maybe core dlls) so that the file can be even smaller? I don't mind if the libraries are thrown into windows/system32/. That's fine.

Just an FYI... We use IndigoSTAR's Perl2Exe Pro and it does exactly that. If you compile with the -small option it separates perl from your app into a shared DLL. There's even a tiny option which creates separate DLLs for used modules. If you distribute many apps to the same systems, this can save you quite a bit of space.

PerlApp ( as of 6.0 ) allows you to create and link to shared perl
'libraries'. The best example I can think of to look at would be PDK 6
itself, which has a number of very similar Gui applications that all
share common code.

The PerlApp options most relevant to this functionality are --shared (
sets the access rules for the executable to "none", "private" or
"public" ) and --use, which specifies a shared library file containing
additional modules to consider at build time.

This vastly reduces the size of an individual executable on Windows, for
example perlapp.exe is only 153 KB, because it uses pdklib.dll ( 1.6MB
), tkkit.dll* ( 2MB ) and perl58.dll, all in the bin\lib\ directory.

* node, tkkit.dll is not a PerlApp'd library per se, but instead
contains the Tcl/Tk stuff we used to build the PDK Guis using the Tkx
module.

This is my best impression of how our implementation works, I'm sure Jan
can shed more light on the specifics.

cheers ( and merry xmas etc from ActiveState ;), JeffG