Rod Butcher wrote:

> Foo Ji-Haw wrote:
>
>>Dirk Bremer wrote:
>>

>>>What is the easiest method to detect whether or not a directory exists?
>>>I will need to create the directory/subdirectory if it is not already
>>>present. The file test -d does not seem to do the trick.
>>
>>What's wrong with -d? It' is not a file test. It's a test if the path
>>points to a directory.
>
> I think it's -e you need to use to test if a file or directory exists.
> if (-e "c:/aaa/bbb") {  blah }

-d could fail if a file exists with the same name as a dir you're
expecting to find.  -e might indicate a file or dir exists, but won't
tell you which it is.

So if -d is true, you found the dir you want.

If -d is false, -e could still be true - meaning a file exists with
the same name as the dir you want - and you won't be able to create
a dir with that name.