Rod Butcher wrote:

> Do we need to bear in mind here that Perl, because of its Unix origin,
> considers a directory to be just a file containing a list of filenames ?
> So the distinction between file or directory need not be made ? Rather,
> "we have an entity in the file system named ...".

Not when you're talking about the -d operator.  -d tests whether that
entity is a directory or not.  -e tests whether its exists or not as
a file or directory.  If you test for -d and it fails and then you
try to create that dir it will fail.  If you test with -e to see if
the dir exists and it does it could fail if you try putting a file in
that dir since it could have been a file rather than a dir.