At 10:42 AM 4/20/2006 +1000, Sisyphus wrote:
>On the subject of replacing brackets with modifiers (which I think was also
>raised earlier on), I was surprised to find that using a modifier is about
>25% faster than brackets:
>'modifier' => 'for(@x) {$z1++ if $_ != 3}',
>'brackets' => 'for(@y) {if($_ != 3){$z2++}}',

That is actually pretty well known.  The reason is that the former is a
short circuit style operation.  The code has a simple bifurcation.  In the
latter it is a code block which has to be setup for all the potential things
u can put in a code block.  Like my's, labels, etc.  Simply entering a curly
bracket costs money.  That's why it's best to avoid them unless ur stringing
just way too many and's and or's together.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100