I seem to be running into all kinds of Perl problems, and you folks have
been really helpful.

Here's one more: I'm using eval to trap errors in code. Here's an example:

Here's the code: $x=eval("\$ret=\$data\=\~$not$filter");

and here's the error that I get

Use of uninitialized value at (eval 23) line 1, <STDIN> chunk 147.
        eval '$ret=$data=~/Take This $30 Reward Survey/i
;' called at eg.pl line 964
        main::checkNewSyntax called at eg.pl line 850

Unfortunately, $@ is not trapping the error (yes, I understand why I'm
getting the error). The code seemed to be working previously on other
errors. I seem to recall a situation where it was trapping one error, and
then the error didn't seem to get cleared from $@ for the next iteration
through the loop. So I set [EMAIL PROTECTED]"". However, removing that line of
code to
reset $@ doesn't seem to get me back to working now. I thought it might be
an issue of being in debug mode or not, but that doesn't seem to be the
case. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help.

 --Nelson R. Pardee, Support Analyst, Information Technology & Services--
 --Syracuse University, CST 4-191, Syracuse, NY 13244                  --
 --(315) 443-1079         [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             --