I've done some research and I've successfully trapped the warnings using

local $SIG{__WARN__}=sub {
        print messages here, etc. @_[0] returns the error
        }; # End WARN sub

That's great! Any gotcha's that anyone can think of?
How about scoping this for the entire program? Any gotchas there you can
think of? It would really help this application which runs as a sendmail
alias and I never see the errors I don't trap for myself.
 --Nelson R. Pardee, Support Analyst, Information Technology & Services--
 --Syracuse University, CST 4-191, Syracuse, NY 13244                  --
 --(315) 443-1079         [EMAIL PROTECTED]                             --