On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Spencer Chase wrote:
> I have never figured out if there really is a PDK list or how to get
> on it so I am writing to this group from which I do get e-mail.

There is indeed a PDK mailing list.  You should be able to subscribe to
it through the web interface at:

    http://listserv.activestate.com/mailman/mysubs

> I have been using the PerlApp-7 in the PDK beta and it suddenly
> stopped working with an alert sound when I try to run it from a
> shortcut. I have a license for PDK 6 and thought that PDK 7 wasn't
> supposed to expire if there was a license. There is no error message
> posted to tell me about a license or whatever. Has it expired and is
> this the way it lets you know? Any other suggestions? The target
> listed in the properties window of the shortcut shows an exe that I
> can not find but the same is true of PDK 6 which does still work.

The PDK 7 beta is indeed expired now.  Here is what the release notes
said:

| PDK 7.0 Beta 2 uses the version number 6.9.91. It does not require
| installation of a beta or trial license and will expire on March 20th
| 2007. ActiveState will release either another beta or the final
| release before that date.
|
| All binaries created with the beta tools will also stop working at the
| end of the beta period unless you have a valid PDK 6 license
| installed. In either case, ActiveState recommends rebuilding your
| applications with the final release version of PDK 7 before
| distributing them to end users.

The PDK 7 beta was always meant to expire.  By default it would work
as if you had a trial license installed.  If you had a PDK 6 license,
then executables generated by the beta would not expire, but the PDK
7 Beta tools would still stop working at the end of the beta period.

You will need to buy an upgrade to PDK 7 unless you have an "ActivePerl
Pro Studio" subscription that was still active by the time PDK 7 was
released.

Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers,
-Jan