On May 3, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Mark Jordan wrote:

For example, in a given batch, most but not all records have an 856 subfield 3, followed by multiple subfield u's. If you ask to delete the first u using pos, then your target will be different determined by the presence of subfield 3. If you know that you want to eliminate u's (without regard to what else is in the field) then your target would be easier to hit.

Ok this I like, having a use case like this makes it much easier to decide about the API. How about we go back to occurrence and remove pos?

However, you raise a good point -- how much functionality do people need? Maybe some actual examples from the wild would be useful. I can supply some but probably not until tomorrow afternoon since I have a presentation to prepare for tomorrow. If other users have some examples of real records or use cases they might clarify the most common usage. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

Yeah, you know if you have the interest/time it would be great if you could add a couple tests to the existing test file. The tests need not pass, but they should illustrate they should illustrate the use. Hop onto #code4lib and I can walk you through how to do this, and get your access set up if you are interested.

//Ed