On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 03:00:10PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 04:05:21PM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 11:24:59AM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:
> > > Its the principle of the thing.  Also, not initializing $Verbose and
> > > $MaxEvalLen seems going a little overboard espcially when it violates the
> > > docs.  Finally I threw in "our" onto the globals so one can turn on strict
> > > during testing.  And a version bump.
> >
> > I've applied your patch apart from the bit that moved the POD to the top;
> > as I still disagree :-(
>
> That its inefficient or that it doesn't matter?

I disagree that the POD should be at the top because

* it's less efficient:

Perl will stop reading a src file when it encounters an __END__; on my FC3
system, perl does a single read() syscall of the first 4K of the file;
without the __END__ it has to do a second call to get the remaining 2K;
and it seems to cause the process to malloc() more

* on aethestic grounds:

I like the fact that all the code fits in the first screen of an editor,
terminated by __END__, so you immediatately know that that's all the code
there is, rather than having to scroll through the whole file to make
sure.

--
This is a great day for France!
    -- Nixon at Charles De Gaulle's funeral